Blog Update



The Chic-a-Lac Blog is finally undergoing renovation, rehabilitation, revision, renewal, reorganization, revitalization and resuscitation. All of this is happening in stages. Some of the old features are gone, such as the Virtual Patio Message Board which is no longer supported, some have been updated like the Youngsville weather thingy, many of the links, like the Camp Album, in the right sidebar and in the posts themselves need relinking in order to work and some new material and features will be added. So please bear with us if some of the things just don't seem to work right. And please feel free to pass along your thoughts, ideas and even a minor criticism or two. You can always reach the blog by clicking on this button Ca. Chic a Lac Mail Thanks for your understanding.

September 10, 2008

RACHEL MELTZER and HENRY LASKAU.

I've starting doing some rummaging around in the NY Times archives - they go back into the 1850s - and have been absolutely amazed at the infinite amount of material waiting to be rediscovered. I thought I'd share a couple of my early Chic-a-Lac related finds. First, I came across the 1953 obituary notice for Rachel Meltzer, mother of Elaine Rattner, Carl, and Faye Posner, and of course Rocky and Ronni's grandmother. Click on the thumbnail image below to view it in its original form. As Roy knows, one of my favorite pastimes is poking around the internet to see what dirt I can find on him. Seriously, Roy is an easy subject because he has left so many historical and indelible "footprints" during his incredibly lustrous, lengthy and varied career. What I found was a quote in an obituary of a friend of his, a gentleman named Henry Laskau, who died in May, 2000. While I'm always happy to see Roy's name in print, I found the story of Mr. Laskau's life fascinating, and I thought I'd share it with you. Again, click on the thumbnail below to read the full article. (You can read more about Henry Laskau, and also learn something about race walking, by reading the first "Comment" below).
Speaking of "finds". I'm putting together a post based on a real "Eureka" discovery that I hope will surprise and delight everyone as much as it did me. Check back in a few days.......

2 comments:

Bob Eber said...

Since the Times article left out a picture of Mr. Laskau, I did a bit more digging, and found not only pictures, but another wonderful article on his life which you can read by clicking HERE.

Roy said...

Thanks... Henry was a great athlete and a great friend going all the way back to the 1950 Maccabiah in Israel where we first met.