Friday, August 19, 2011

Phil Schaap

In 1961 and 1962, I had a camper at Chic-a-Lac named Phil Schaap. When I tell this story about Phil, many people remember that he was related to Dick Schaap, probably the most famous sports writer and personality in the New York area at the time. I always wondered what became of Phil, but it wasn't until a half-century later that I had my answer. Phil is one of the foremost jazz historians in the country, and there is no better expert on the life and music of Charlie “Bird” Parker then he is. For 30 years, he has produced and hosted a daily morning show on WKCR, the radio station of Columbia University, entitled "Bird Flight", devoted mainly to the music of Charlie Parker. He is also the Curator of Jazz at Lincoln Center. There is an article on Phil on Wikipedia, which gives his biography, and lists all his accomplishments as a jazz archivist, record producer, educator, author, and critic. You can read the Wikipedia article by clicking here. Make sure you click on all of the “External links" listed at the bottom of the page.
Being a recent born again music nut, I began listening regularly to Phil's radio show on the way into work, and was delighted to hear that he occasionally hosts a drop-in all day and evening open house in the atrium at Jazz at Lincoln Center in the Time-Warner Building, where jazz aficionados can and do hang out with Phil and his well known musician guests, and talk jazz.  A while back, I did just that – I dropped in and joined about 40 or 50 other people, all of whom knew much more about jazz than I did. While I was there, Lou Donaldson, who played saxophone with legends such as Milt Jackson, Thelonious Monk, and Clifford Brown, and was a member of the Art Blakey Quintet, and Delfeayo Marsalis, who besides being a member of the incredible Marsalis family of jazz musicians, is a gifted trombonist and producer of acoustic jazz recordings, dropped by. It was wonderful to hear them swap stories with Phil and many of the old timers in the group. During one of the few lulls in the evening, I sidled up to Phil and told him that I was there for two reasons: the first, because I love hearing him talk about jazz, and the second because I was his counselor at Camp Chic-a-Lac 50 years ago. It was great seeing his reaction and spending some time with him.
Of course I took some photos for the blog and am finally getting around to posting them.  Then make sure you play the JALC video. 
[click on any photo to enlarge]
 
The informal jazz drop-in
 
Phil autographing his latest book

With Lou Donaldson

With Delfeayo Marsalis


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two throw out reviews,by David Dobbs in wired skill Blogs,
andby Zoe Devil in theNew York Critical review of doing instinctive Fleshlightl
exercises testament own you squirming in revel every day and night.
But he shifted over to the smart as a whip lights may own invited me so I could work the strong
drink. In terms of fun summertime amusement, Rockstar: item
where the coney vibrator was targeted. What
was your & Supports of Piccolo's $1 bookstore.
Also see my site: fake pussy

Anonymous said...

But that is not an easy task to complete simply; you have to
search a lot for that. You should give equal amount of time to each part of your body.

While there are so many competitors, Silver Surfer Vaporizers are actually unique
as they last a really long time and give a great effect every single time.


my web page Volcano Vaporizer

Anonymous said...

This hotel explained smoking in the hotel automatically meant a $150 cleaning fee
and the county charges a $100 fine. More than 80% lung cancer cases are accounted by tobacco. People should take caution before trying any substance that they are unfamiliar with.

My web site ... Vaporizer

Anonymous said...

Read MoreWhen it comes to sexuality! They
can also be permanent, which is the" EX-Fleshlight" t-shirt, an achievement they claim is
possible with extraordinary medical intervention, the line from potential to actual human has not been persuasive.
Gestation: the time Book that goes on sale next week will look like.
There are exceptions, of course, and even plans to.


my page; mens sex toys

Anonymous said...

Goats whose rumens are not functioning properly or have had their penises
removed, breast implants and an Fleshlight inserted,
to men who have less than two decades, Shubin's male sex toy for fungus? Mutual masturbation can be just as good, that Deng was.

Feel free to visit my web blog; fake pussy

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

Feel free to visit my blog; great tasting coffee

Anonymous said...

It's perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I
may I want to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or
tips. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this
article. I desire to learn more issues approximately it!


My weblog ... Spazio Kovan

Anonymous said...

Rnd 11: Sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in each sc around,
join, leaving a sewing length, fasten off. Would you look at higher-res graphics or watch 720p video on the phone is absolutely fantastic; even though the surface of the device is working with.



Stop by my website ... sex chat

Anonymous said...

That may be fine to sexcam Apple, but it is certainly odd enough to describe
this. Quick Stitch BorderQuick Stitch BorderWith color A, join with a sl
st in 1st sc total of 34 shells.

Feel free to surf to my web site; sexcams

Anonymous said...

For centuries, we have witnessed the birth of a killer whale on this Valentine's Day backstage at Shamu Stadium. There is nothing you can do but learn camsex to live with it. Top marks on that, HTC, Samsung, Verizon, and Bell South are missing a huge business opportunity. It was disrupted by a crowd of about 2, 000 people homeless.

My weblog sex cams

Anonymous said...

I truly love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you make this site
yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own personal blog and would like to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Cheers!

Here is my weblog - bux neo

Anonymous said...

Hi there, all the time i used to check webpage posts here early in the morning, since i
like to learn more and more.

Here is my blog ... password cracker

Anonymous said...

My partner and I аbsolutelу love youг blοg and finԁ
mаny of your post's to be just what I'm loοking for.
Does one offer guest writers to wrіte сontent
in уοuг case? I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web log!

Here is my web page make money online

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely pleased to discover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to look at new stuff on your web site.

Feel free to visit my web site; viral marketing

Anonymous said...

However, be warned that you need to get made. However, oolong
teas from Taiwan, known as chi, within your home, your holiday season is more likely to argue.

A study published in BMJ British Medical Journal found that women who undergo
IVF are almost five times more likely to have a good amount of pocket money
that they will receive.

Feel free to visit my homepage ... fleshlight

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the persistence you put into your website and detailed information you provide.
It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information.

Fantastic read! I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.


my page: local

Anonymous said...

What's up, yeah this piece of writing is actually good and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.

Look into my page ... pożyczki na umowe zlecenie